My secret ingredient: vanilla extract. Like plush velvet, the vanilla softens the coffee in this marinade, while the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar tame coffee’s bitterness. Coffee shines through, without being overpowering, and the ground beans add a nice visual texture. Got some flavored coffee beans on hand? Use them here, especially buttery ones like creme brulee-flavored beans.
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground coffee beans
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
To use: Combine all ingredients. Marinate 2 pounds of steak (such as top sirloin or flank steak) 2 hours or up to overnight, refrigerated. Season steaks with salt and pepper before broiling, grilling or pan-frying.
Recipe © Kate Heyhoe